Full-Time ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST TECHNICIAN 1
Reporting to the Supervisor and working in a team environment, the Engineering Technologist Technician 1 may direct the work of Engineering Technologist 2s and/or Inspectors Municipal Construction while undertaking the following responsibilities.
- Administers, prepares, coordinates and reviews requirements, engineering designs, drawings, reports, specifications and documentation related to Toronto Water projects, and Operations and Maintenance activities.
- Prepares tenders and quotations, and administers contracts for the installation, construction, rehabilitation, and maintenance of infrastructure to ensure contracts are carried out in accordance with City standards, specifications and procedures, and verifies activities for payment.
- Conducts field investigations, evaluates asset condition for a variety of planned proposals, programs, and projects pertaining to water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports.
- Assists or carries out technical work for the planning, tendering, construction and inspection of municipal infrastructure.
- Coordinates, reviews and prepares engineering design drawings and reports for existing and proposed sewers, watermains, watercourses, storm water facilities and other municipal infrastructure, using various software applications.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders, i.e. other Divisions, Utility companies, developers, public, contractors, consultants, architects etc. pertaining to water and wastewater infrastructure issues.
- Performs and/or reviews research, conducts studies and / or calculations and analysis of technical data.
- Investigates and responds to inquiries from the public, surveyors, consultants, contractors & internal customers related to construction and maintenance activities, on by-law interpretation, location of property lines, encroachments, digital CADD and processes.
- Prepares, reads and interprets technical drawings
- Collects, maintains and analyzes data and prepares reports making recommendations based upon applicable by-laws and City policies.
- Programs, operates and maintains a variety of, digital, analogue, wireless, computerized and other equipment and systems in performing surveys, drafting, calculations, studies, data collection, etc.
- Checks and provides progress/inspection reports on the work of contractors and developers to ensure adherence to approved designs, procedures, regulations, statutes, specifications, etc.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports pertaining to issues relevant to Toronto Water.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate in a Civil Engineering Technologist Program from a recognized College or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in Civil Engineering with practical experience in the municipal water distribution, wastewater collection and storm water management activities and systems.
- Must possess a Class “G” or better Driver’s License valid in the province of Ontario and able to maintain same and provide a personal vehicle.
You must also have:
- Considerable experience in providing customer service to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Visio), geospatial data and mapping applications and mainframe systems such as, but not limited to: Hansen, SAP, ArcGIS and GIS viewer.
- Experience in the operation of CADD (e.g. Microstation) and GIS (e.g. ArcView).
- Knowledge and understanding of Municipal Civil Engineering principles, practices and construction methods related to hydrology, hydraulics, storm water management, water efficiency/conservation; and the collection of infrastructure condition rating data, for example: CCTV, flow monitoring, trunk collection system, pump testing.
- The ability to interpret engineering drawings and documents, e.g. plans and profiles, surveys, Specifications, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding with all relevant regulations, statutes, standards and practices (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act 2012, OPSS, OPSD, TAC, MOE).
- Demonstrated ability to perform manual and computerized mathematical calculations used in engineering analysis.
- Knowledge and experience of procurement and other purchasing procedures, such as, tendering and administration of construction contracts, request for proposals etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with consultants, contractors, colleagues and other City employees at all levels and members of the public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Advanced problem solving, project coordination skills and the ability to exercise independent judgement in dealing with technical matters.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to provide work direction to other staff.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Engineering, Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) would be an asset.
Understanding of continuous improvement processes and practices (Lean-Six Sigma and/or project management certification is an asset).
Number of positions & work locations:
- One (1) permanent and one (1) temporary positions at 60 Tiffield Road
- Two (2) permanent and one (1) temporary positions at North York Civic Centre
- One (1) temporary position at 150 Disco Road
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
218 total views, 1 today